Anyone who knows me knows that I hate baking. But if you’ve checked out our recipe for No-Bake Peanut Butter & Choco Fudge, then you also know we have a problem with accumulating jars and jars of nut butter.
This recipe is the ultimate compromise: baking for the sake of emptying the kitchen pantry.
The jar of peanut butter on the right (from Sprouts Farmers Market) had only a couple of tablespoons left. The jar on the left (from MaraNatha) was an impulse buy when they went on sale a few weeks ago.
With too much peanut butter in this house, two of these jars had to go.
Luckily, this recipe is SO simple and I already had all of the other ingredients lying around the house. Dry ingredients include a little flour, salt, sugar, and baking soda. The other wet ingredients only called for some vanilla extract and applesauce.
Bam. Vegan cookie recipe – done.
Even after these cookies have cooled — on the countertop, in the fridge, wherever! — they are still the softest and chewiest cookies you’ll ever eat. No need to dip these bad boys in your milk of choice… they’re already super soft and crumbly on their own.
The only downside is that you always wish you had baked more. (Pro tip: double the ingredients, and you’ll thank yourself later.)
Chewy Vegan Peanut Butter Cookies
Total Time: 10 minutes prep, 8 minutes cooking
Servings: 20 cookies
- 1 c. nut butter of choice (I used peanut butter)
- 1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 6 tbsp. flour of choice (I used whole wheat)
- 2/3 c. of sugar (I used coconut sugar)
- 4 tbsp. applesauce
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- Lightly grease a baking sheet. (I love using coconut oil for this!)
- Combine dry ingredients in a mixing bowl.
- Warm your peanut butter in the microwave (~20-30 seconds) to soften.
- Add all of your remaining ingredients to the mixing bowl and stir to form a dough.
- Scoop out tablespoon-sized spoonfuls of the mixture and roll into cookie balls. Place at least 1 inch apart on the baking sheet.
- Bake in a preheated oven (350 degrees Fahrenheit) for 5 minutes.
- Remove the cookies from the oven and lightly flatten using a fork. Place back into the oven and bake for another 3-4 minutes.
- The cookies will look a tad underdone when you take them out. Let cool for at least 15 minutes before enjoying, as they firm up while cooling.