I don’t know what it is, but lately I’ve been aching for some of my favorite Cajun dishes. Shrimp etoufée, seafood gumbo, savory jambalaya… you name it, I’ve been craving it.
Now that our family eats seafood again, we can finally indulge! We’ve been grabbing our seafood either at our local farmer’s market OR buying sustainably sourced seafood at our favorite grocery stores. This shrimp and corn bisque has been callin’ my name for weeks… and now, it’s finally here.
This recipe is SUPER simple and incorporates only a few simple ingredients — plus a myriad of spices to add dimension. The best part? It’s 100% dairy-free! By substituting non-dairy milk and Earth Balance vegan butter, this recipe has all of the flavor and none of the cholesterol.
If you aren’t dairy-free, simply swap the non-dairy milk and vegan butter roux for heavy cream instead. Et voilá! You’ve got a creamy, decadent shrimp and corn bisque.
Crock-Pot Shrimp & Corn Bisque (Dairy-Free)
Total Time: 10 minutes prep, 4-6 hours cooking
- 1 1/2 lbs. baby yellow potatoes, quartered
- 16 oz. bag of frozen corn
- 1/4 c. flour (I used whole wheat)
- 4 c. vegetable broth (or use Better than Bouillon!)
- 1 lb. shrimp — peeled, deveined, and tail-off
- 1/2 c. non-dairy milk of choice (I used flax milk)
- 1/2 c. vegan butter (I used Earth Balance)
- 2-3 additional tbsp. flour
- 1 1/2 tbsp. of cajun seasoning
- Or, use 1 tsp. each of onion powder, oregano, paprika, salt, and pepper
- Wash and dice potatoes.
- Add potatoes and frozen corn to your Crock-Pot and toss to coat with 1/4 c. flour.
- Add your seasonings and broth.
- Cover and cook on high for 2-3 hours.
- Add shrimp. Cook for additional 1 hour.
- In a separate bowl, combine your remaining flour with non-dairy milk and vegan butter. Melt and combine. Add your “roux” to your Crock-Pot.
- Cook for another 30-60 minutes.
- Add salt and pepper to taste, and serve!