If you know anything about me, it’s that I looooove a good “no-bake” recipe. I’d much rather cook a warm, savory meal over a hot stovetop than even bothering dabbling with the precise measurements of a carrot cake recipe. What can I say? I prefer to “wing it” in the kitchen… and that just means I’m not the best baker.
One of my kids’ favorite recipes that I make is my Vegan Black Bean Brownies. Although they’re not of the “no-bake” variety, they hit the right amount of sweet and chewy – everything you could desire in a brownie! But when you’re not feelin’ something quite so chocolate-y, I’ve got another option for you: blondies!
Like brownies in shape and texture, blondies nix the chocolate and instead opt for other sweet alternatives – like brown sugar – instead! Your traditional blondie recipe typically calls for flour, brown sugar, butter, eggs, baking powder, and vanilla. But here in the Dayton household, we prefer to keep things dairy-free and as light as possible.
One day while my toddler was taking his afternoon nap, I decided to experiment with a couple of different ingredients we had lying around the kitchen. Voila! No-bake vegan blondies.
One of my favorite items to use during my “baking” (if you can even call it that) adventures is this Coconut Oil Spray from Trader Joe’s. It helps tremendously when trying to keep your blondies from staying stuck to your glass baking dish.
Don’t have a Trader Joe’s nearby or can’t find it available online? No worries! Simply line your baking dish with clear saran wrap or parchment paper instead. When your blondies have set in the fridge for 1-2 hours, simply use the edges of the wrap/paper to lift your blondies from the dish so it’s easier to cut and separate.
Another thing I bet you’re wondering: “If I can’t find coconut flour, can I substitute another type of flour instead?” Sorry… no. And here’s why.
Coconut flour is not really a “flour”; it is ground and dehydrated coconut meat. It also absorbs 10 times its weight in liquid, and it does not perform like any other “flour.” Unfortunately, this recipe will only work with coconut flour.
No-Bake Vegan Blondies
Total Time: 15 minutes prep, 1-2 hours “baking”
Servings: 8 slices
- 1/2 c. + 2 tbsp. coconut flour
- 1/2 c. mashed banana (about 1 large banana)
- 1/4 c. peanut butter (or other nut butter of choice)
- 1/4 c. sweetener of choice (I used honey)
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2-4 tbsp. mini chocolate chips (I use the Enjoy Life brand)
- Oil your glass baking dish (or line with parchment paper/saran wrap).
- In a large bowl, mix the mashed banana, peanut butter, honey, and vanilla.
- Once the mixture is cohesive and creamy, add in the coconut flour and combine well.
- Then, add in mini hocolate chips and combine.
- Spread mixture into a lined pan with your hands, pressing down and spreading evenly, to about 1/2 thick.
- Refrigerate for 1-2 hours until firm.
- Remove from pan and cut into 8 individual squares.