Last weekend, I was jonesing for some brownies! I’ve made my famous Vegan Black Bean Brownies before… but we didn’t have a can of black beans on hand, and I wasn’t in the mood for a grocery run. Thus, these Olive Oil Brownies were born!
Fair warning for my vegan friends: while these brownies are dairy-free (as it so happens, I also didn’t have enough vegan butter on hand), unfortunately, they are not 100% vegan. The recipe I played with calls for 2 eggs. You can always try your hand at substituting the actual eggs for “flax eggs” – but since I’ve never tried it myself, I can’t 100% vouch for its effectiveness!
One of the fantastic things about this recipe (I mean, other than how GREAT these brownies taste) is that it’s minimal mess! I like to call these my “one-pot brownies” because I don’t need to use a million mixing bowls in order to get the job done. I simply add the ingredients, one by one, into my stand mixer… and voila. Easy clean-up.
Let’s also talk substitutions. In addition to trying the “flax eggs” (referenced above), there are lots of other options here if you’re missing a couple of ingredients. For example, the very first time I made these brownies, I used avocado oil instead of olive oil. Sure, that sort of defeats the purpose of “Olive Oil Brownies” – but it’s what we had on hand. I like olive oil because it’s more affordable (this recipe calls for 2/3 cups!), but use what you like.
We’ve also made these brownies without chocolate chips and with sprinkles instead, with cacao powder instead of cocoa powder, with almond flour instead of all-purpose flour, and so on. You get the point. Even with minor adjustments, these brownies turn out just as tasty.
These brownies store well either room temperature (in glass or plastic storage containers) or in the fridge for up to a week. But trust me, they rarely last that long. Personally, I prefer to store them in the fridge because it helps them firm up a tad more… and also because in the 100*F Tucson heat, a nice, cool brownie is the perfect after-dinner treat.
If you make these brownies, let me know in the comments below if you used any substitute ingredients and how they turned out!
Olive Oil Brownies (Dairy-Free)
Total Time: 15 minutes prep, 35-40 minutes baking
Yields: 20 brownies
- 3/4 c. cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/4 tsp. fine sea salt
- 2/3 c. olive oil, divided
- 1/2 c. boiling water
- 2 c. sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 1/3 c. all-purpose flour
- 1 c. dark chocolate chips (I like the Enjoy Life brand)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Oil a 9×13 baking pan (I like using the avocado oil spray from Chosen Foods).
- In your stand mixer bowl, whisk together the cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Add 1/3 c. of olive oil and boiling water into the cocoa powder mixture until smooth.
- Then, add your sugar, eggs, vanilla extract, and remaining 1/3 c. of olive oil. Mix until smooth.
- Slowly mix in your flour until smooth.
- Pour batter into your greased baking pan. Top with chocolate chips.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes, or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and let cool in pan for at least 30 minutes before cutting.