When I’ve got the time, I always opt to roast my vegetables.
Seriously… if you’re not in a rush and you’ve got time to pre-heat an oven and let it work its magic, DO IT. Roasting your vegetables gives depth to the flavor and changes the texture, while also changing color and aroma. It’s like you’re eating a whole new veggie.
My partner, Noah, has been on a cauliflower kick recently. We had a head of cauliflower in our fridge whose expiration date was steadily creeping up on us, so it was time to use it. I also decided to throw in a sweet potato and yam that we had lying around (and no, they’re not exactly the same thing!).
When I roast veggies, I almost always use the same formula: olive oil, salt, pepper, and generally the same rotation of spices. It doesn’t matter whether I’m roasting cauliflower or broccoli, sweet potatoes or Yukon gold potatoes… with these simple spice combinations, you’re guaranteed a delicious meal.
I like serving my roasted veggies with a sauce — like tahini or my Easy Homemade Peanut Sauce. Drizzle your favorite sauce directly on top, or serve on the side for easy dipping. Bon appetit!
Roasted Cauliflower & Sweet Potatoes
Total Time: 30 minutes
- Cooking spray (I love Trader Joe’s Coconut Oil spray!)
- 1 head of cauliflower
- 1 sweet potato
- 1 yam (or a regular potato of equal size)
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 2 tsp. dried oregano
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 1 tsp. turmeric
- 1/2 tsp. chili powder
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Pre-heat your oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Prepare a baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Chop your sweet potato and yam. In a mixing bowl, toss with 1 tbsp. of olive oil, oregano, salt, and pepper.
- Place your sweet potato and yam on the baking sheet and roast for 10 minutes.
- While sweet potato and yam are roasting, chop your cauliflower into bite-size pieces. In a mixing bowl, toss with remaining olive oil, cumin, turmeric, chili powder, salt, and pepper.
- Remove baking sheet from oven and add cauliflower. Roast veggies for another 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven, let cool, and enjoy!