I’ve been on a baking kick lately! Really, I’ve just been trying to be as productive as possible… especially as we head into the slow summer season. Over the next few months, I’ll have all three boys – ages 1, 5 1/2, and 7 – at home all day, so keeping everyone busy and engaged is definitely a priority. As we experiment with trying even more new foods, I also want to make sure we’re offering desserts and rewards when possible… so these delicious vegan strawberries and cream cupcakes were born!
This recipe is very, very similar to the classic vanilla cupcakes I made almost a week ago with one big exception: they incorporate fresh, pureed strawberries in lieu of almond milk. Yum! (Any excuse to incorporate more fresh ingredients, am I right?)
And again, I’m going to recommend that if you have a stand mixer in your kitchen, now’s the time to break it out and use it! The stand mixer we’ve got was a hand-me-down from my in-laws (it’s missing the pasta attachment, but other than that, it’s in perfect working condition). I was so thankful for this little piece of equipment when it came time to mix the batter. It made everything 10x easier and with zero clumps!
I also encourage you to have fun with your toppings! On this particular day, I didn’t make my own homemade frosting… but instead, I “cheated” and used this store-bought vanilla frosting from Simple Mills. I found it at my local Fry’s Food Stores, so if you’re a busy mom like me, look in the “healthy” section of your grocery store’s baking aisle.
We also used Enjoy Life semi-sweet mini chocolate chips, another family fave. Not only are they vegan and gluten-free, but they’re also free of 14 common food allergens… so they’re safe for almost all diet types. (If you’re a mom with school-aged children, you know how important it is to accommodate everyone!)
Are you loving all of these vegan recipes lately? Be sure you’re following me on Instagram and Facebook for real-time updates on our day-to-day life. We’re not as active on social media as we used to be, but it’s still your best shot at engaging with us on a more regular basis!
(Plus, if you’ve got any recipe suggestions or recommendations to share with us, that’s the best place!)
Vegan Strawberries & Cream Cupcakes
Total Time: 20 minutes prep, 20-25 minutes baking
Servings: 12 cupcakes
- 1 c. chopped strawberries
- 1/2 c. melted Earth Balance butter (measure after melted)
- 1 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 tsp. almond extract
- 1 c. white granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 2 tbsp. cornstarch
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1 3/4 c. white flour
- I cheated and used this store-bought frosting, but you can find my recipe for homemade frosting in this blog post.
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Fill your muffin tin with cupcake liners, and lightly spray the liners with nonstick cooking spray. (I like Trader Joe’s Coconut Oil Spray.)
- To begin your cupcake batter, place your chopped strawberries in a blender or food processor, and blend until a thick puree.
- Melt your butter, measure it in melted form to reach 1/2 cup, and then let cool to room temperature.
- Mix your pureed strawberries and your butter. Add in the vanilla extract, almond extract, sugar, and apple cider vinegar.
- In a separate bowl, add the baking soda, cornstarch, salt, and flour. Stir to combine.
- Add wet to dry and mix until combined.
- Fill the cupcake liners 2/3rds of the way full, and then bake for 20-25 minutes (or until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted into the center).
- Remove and allow to completely cool.
- Frost the cupcakes, decorate to your heart’s content, and enjoy!